They Believed She Had Appendicitis Until They Saw This Inside Her
A 15-year-old girl was recently admitted to the Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, with extreme nausea and pain in her right side. The pain was originating in her midsection above the hip, so doctors assumed she had a bad case of appendicitis. Her symptoms perfectly matched those of appendicitis, so they operated to removed it. They discovered something quite unusual when they opened her up, though.
Before they decided to perform the surgery, doctors performed several tests to search for the cause of the pain, and they were particularly looking for appendicitis. They did an ultrasound, took blood and urine samples, and she was physically examined. All the tests came back negative. The doctors were confused, but they remained convinced she had appendicitis, and her pain was worsening.
They opted to do the surgery after concluding they had no other option. It could potentially kill the girl if they didn’t do anything. The modern procedure is done laparoscopically through a tiny incision in the abdomen. Once the incision is made, they insert a camera and manipulation tools. This allows them to see at a large scale what they are doing. Everything appeared normal in her abdomen until they made it to the appendix. The organ is usually red or pink, but hers was a pure white.
It was clear the appendix needed to be removed, so they prepared to sever it from the bowel. Before they could remove the organ, an enormous amount of tiny white worms spilled from the appendix. The surgeons were quick to react, and they managed to use suction to vacuum all the worms. They were then able to remove the appendix without incident.
After the procedure, it was revealed that she had an infection of an intestinal parasite called pinworm. This is sometimes also referred to as threadworm, and it is perhaps the most common type of intestinal worms in the civilized world. Some estimates claim that as many as 50 percent of all children in Britain may have them, and countries like India have a pinworm rate of over 60 percent. Fortunately, they are not dangerous.
RELATED ARTICLE: How to Tell If You Have Intestinal Worms
Pinworms are, however, incredibly contagious. The leave microscopic eggs that travel out of the digestive tract out into the world, and they can be found on things like toilets, kitchen counters, and handrails. When the eggs are ingested, they reach the intestine and begin to hatch. They then infest the entirety of the bowel. Pinworms can be treated with prescribed medications to remove them from someone’s system. The anonymous girl who underwent this surgery was completely cured of her pain when she awoke, and she ended up making a full recovery.
Pinworms often spread through unsanitary conditions in restrooms and food processing facilities. They especially like to live inside raw meats, and they lay eggs that remain in the meat until it is consumed. If a person consumes the raw meat without cooking it fully, they can be infested with live eggs. Cooking the meat kills everything living inside it.
Proper hygiene is also important for preventing pinworm infection. Washing your hands after visiting the restroom is one of the best ways to guarantee any pinworm eggs that find their way to your hands will be cleansed away. If you are unfortunate enough to experience a pinworm infection, there are several natural remedies you can attempt to treat yourself with.
Garlic is surprisingly effective at killing pinworm, and all you have to do is eat it raw. Once you ingest the raw garlic, it will travel through your digestive tract and kill pinworms and their eggs as it goes. Coconut is yet another natural antidote for pinworm infection. A tablespoon of raw coconut with breakfast combined with a teaspoon of castor oil a few hours afterward can eradicate pinworms in days.
Pinworms are a serious issue in modern society simply because of how easily they spread, but they are more of a nuisance than anything else. Proper vigilance and the right diet can keep pinworms away for good.