Baby Almost Died After Shopping With His Mother

 

Baby Almost Died After Shopping With His Mother

Many new mothers are very busy, so they take their babies shopping with them. However, there are a lot of strangers at supermarkets and malls, and sometimes they carry germs. One mother, Vivienne Wardrop, was shocked to learn just how easy it was for her baby to catch germs. Sadly, she did not know that shopping carts were dangerous until her son was in the hospital. Her baby almost died after shopping at a mall.

her-son-almost-died-from-disease-caught-in-shopping-mall-and-now-she-warns-others-about-this

Advertisement:

 

When Vivienne stopped by the store, she did not think there was any risk to bringing her 10 month son. She put Logan in the trolley and pushed it around the store while shopping. At first, everything seemed fine. However, a day later, little Logan started vomiting and had extreme diarrhea. His fever was so concerning that Vivienne took him to the doctor. The doctor dismissed the mom’s concerns and told her he just had a basic virus.

Vivienne knew something was wrong when she gave him a bottle. After drinking it, her baby “vomited it back up and this kept happening throughout the day.” When a day of this extreme vomiting and diarrhea had passed, Vivienne was truly concerned. Logan was dehydrated because he could not eat or drink, so she rushed him to the hospital. The hospital staff was shocked to realize that his heart was at 220 beats per minute. Since a normal baby’s heart rate is only 80 beats a minute, this was abnormally high.

RELATED ARTICLE: Still Thinking About Childhood Vaccines? – Read This

Unlike the first doctor Vivienne saw, the hospital realized this was not normal. Logan underwent several tests, and he immediately got an IV to halt the dehydration. Eventually, Logan was diagnosed with adenovirus, rotavirus, salmonella, and meningitis. Adenovirus is a common respiratory infection similar to the common cold, and rotavirus is a variety of the stomach flu. Even one of these illnesses could harm a baby, but in a rare case, Logan had all four.

The meningitis that had been triggered by salmonella was particularly concerning for such a young child. Medical research typically suggested that 18 percent of babies who got salmonella meningitis would die. Since Logan’s body was already weakened by the other viruses, the doctors were worried that the salmonella meningitis could be deadly.

His cells could not seem to accept any water, so he remained dehydrated even with the IV. Logan needed massive doses of antibiotics to fight off the illness. The poor child ended up in intensive care for eight days at the hospital. Even after they no longer worried he would pass away, he still needed weeks to get back to normal. Fortunately, Logan is finally back home, and is starting to recover.

2

While at the hospital, the doctors explained that Logan most likely got the illness from the supermarket cart. He had not been anywhere beside his home, so it was the most likely location. Animal products and vegetables at the supermarket could contain salmonella that was transferred to the cart. The viruses spread through skin and oral contact, so he could get them by licking the cart or his hands. Most adults are not at risk, but babies put everything into their mouths.

Vivienne decided to share her family’s story on Facebook to spread awareness. Though she does not blame the supermarket, she does not want any other mothers to risk their babies. Vivienne writes that she, “just wanted to warn parents against using baby seats in trolley without wiping down.”

baby-almost-died-after-shopping-with-his-mother

When shopping, you should be careful to protect your baby. If possible, keep them in their own carrier instead of placing them in a cart. If you do need to use a trolley, wipe it down with antibacterial wipes. Cover it with a clean blanket from home, and then place your child in the cart. Keep any fresh produce or meat out of reach of your child. After shopping, wash your hands thoroughly before feeding your baby. These five hygiene rules will help to keep your child safe in crowded shopping areas.

Meningitis.org   Dailymail.co.uk

 
  Disclaimer: All content on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be considered to be a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any individual situation. Use of this website and the information contained herein does not create a doctor-patient relationship. Always consult with your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.