The Beauty and Power of Childbirth
Daughter Supporting Mother
1. Giving birth at home makes all the members of the family active contributors in the process of birth. This amazing bonding experience is empowering for soon to be siblings as well and sets up a wonderful caring dynamic that begins at birth and lasts a lifetime.
2. The amazing moment right after a mother has given birth and she is still connected to her baby via the umbilical cord. Each cord is unique and fascinating to behold.
3. A mother’s elation as she holds her newborn in her arms. In the moments after natural birth both mother and baby experience a huge rush of oxytocin, known as the love hormone.
The Breastfeeding Bond
4. In the minutes and hours after birth a baby will instinctively start rooting and creeping towards his mother’s breast. These first feedings are very important to establish a healthy breastfeeding relationship. Support helps lead to long-term breastfeeding success.
5. The process of childbirth is called labor for a reason. Though women bear the physical burdens of labor, their partners can be transformed as well by watching their loved ones give birth.
Modern Medical Birth
6. In situations where a doctor or midwife deems a vaginal birth isn’t appropriate, a Caesarean section may be performed. This surgery, though overused in many countries, is still a miraculous birth experience when truly necessary.
7. The way we choose to give birth seems to have some effect on how our newborns respond in their first moments on earth. This sweet baby was quiet and peaceful after an extremely tranquil birth experience.
RELATED ARTICLE: Will Your New Baby Look Like You? A Helpful How-to Guide
Born In The Caul
8. One of the rare yet spectacular variations on normal birth can occur when a baby is born while still inside the amniotic sac. In most births the sac will burst at some point before the baby is born, but in this situation baby is still encased peacefully within a thin yet strong watery membrane.
11 Fingers 10 Toes?
[/nextpage] [nextpage title=”…”]
9. All babies are born with some variations, but generally you can expect 10 fingers and 10 toes. This little one however, was born with an additional finger. Luckily there was no bone inside the finger but it was growing a fingernail!
The Importance of a Doula
10. Hiring a doula is one of the best decisions you can make during your pregnancy. A birth companion has been proven to decrease the risk of unnecessary c-sections and shorten overall labor time. They support the birthing mother and her partner with non-medical emotional and physical support.
RELATED ARTICLE: What Happens To A Woman’s Body During Childbirth
Choosing Natural Laboring Positions
11. Babies can be born in many different positions, this picture shows the baby born as mother labors on her hands and knees. Incidentally this is one of the very best choices to push your baby out in since it increases your pelvic output and takes pressure off of your spine.
Soothing First Baths
12. This newborn and his mother are enjoying a soothing herbal bath. These treatments smell amazing, promote healing for the postpartum mom, and are a sweet way for mom and baby to bond.
Born In the Water
13. Relief and joy wash over a mother’s face as she pulls her baby from the water and onto her chest. Laboring in water is a natural pain reliever during childbirth.
14. A doctor holds a newborn with the umbilical cord still attached right after delivery as mom reaches out her hands in preparation for their first embrace.
Born in the Bathtub
15. This baby’s mom didn’t have time to fill up a birth tub so she headed for the bathtub. The baby was born soon thereafter as healthy as can be.
Peace and Rest
16. The relief at the end of labor for both mom and baby who have worked so hard is washed all over this precious pair. Skin to skin contact and lots of cuddles are a recipe for a good bond.